North Carolina’s State Health Plan covers roughly 740,000 people, from first-year teachers to retired correctional officers, and it is burning through money faster than the state can replenish it. Actuarial projections shared with the plan’s Board of Trustees show cumulative net losses on track to exceed $1 billion by 2027, driven by hospital and specialty-care costs that have outrun the state’s flat per-member funding for years. As of spring 2026, the board is scrambling to design another round of fixes before the plan’s cash reserves are gone.
How the deficit built up
The shortfall did not appear suddenly. In May 2025, the North Carolina Department of State Treasurer told the Board of Trustees that the plan faced a projected deficit of $507 million, with hospital reimbursements and specialty-drug spending growing far faster than revenue. The board responded by voting to kill the Clear Pricing Project, a provider-reimbursement model that had been the plan’s flagship cost-control tool. Supporters of the program argued it had lowered unit prices at participating facilities, but the board concluded it was not generating savings fast enough to close the widening gap.
“We are at a crossroads,” Sam Watts, the plan’s executive director, told trustees during that May session, according to official meeting materials. The board voted to sunset the Clear Pricing Project on December 31, 2025, replacing it with strategies aimed at steering members toward lower-cost care settings.
Weeks later, the North Carolina Office of the State Auditor released a performance audit that confirmed the deficit trajectory, projecting growing annual net losses through 2027 and warning that the plan would eventually slip into a cash deficit. The auditor’s findings, layered on top of the Treasurer’s $507 million figure and the plan’s own disclosures about mounting unfunded liabilities, point to cumulative losses well above $1 billion across the three-year window ending in 2027.
What changed for members in 2026
The benefit overhaul that took effect January 1, 2026, reshaped the plan from the ground up. Flat premiums gave way to a salary-based tier system: higher-paid state employees now pay more for the same coverage, while lower-wage workers saw smaller increases or, in some cases, modest relief. Deductibles and copay structures were also adjusted upward.
The plan has not published a single consolidated comparison of 2025 and 2026 member costs, a gap that has frustrated employees trying to understand exactly how much more they owe. Premium tier details and revised deductible schedules are scattered across multiple board documents and enrollment guides rather than presented in one place.
Operationally, the plan replaced the Clear Pricing Project with site-of-service steerage, tighter preferred-provider arrangements, and expanded utilization management. The goal is to push members toward outpatient facilities and lower-cost providers while discouraging unnecessary emergency room visits and high-cost procedures. Board materials from a December 5, 2025, trustee meeting show officials tracking enrollment counts and the early effects of the new premium tiers, though the documents do not yet report whether the changes have begun to slow spending growth.
The Aetna contract and its unknowns
Layered into all of this is a relatively new administrative relationship. Aetna took over as the plan’s third-party administrator on January 1, 2025, under a three-year contract running through December 31, 2027, with renewal options. The agreement, detailed in contract documents posted on the plan’s website, includes administrative fee schedules, performance guarantees with financial penalties, and optional add-ons for care management and data analytics.
Those provisions give the state contractual leverage to demand better claims processing, stronger network discounts, or measurable care-management results. Whether that leverage has been exercised is unclear. The plan has not released a detailed comparison of Aetna’s performance against the prior administrator, and no public accounting separates how much of the deficit stems from underlying medical inflation versus network pricing or administrative dynamics that a different vendor arrangement might address.
Unanswered questions heading into summer 2026
Several critical unknowns hang over the plan as the board prepares its next set of decisions.
Enrollment shifts. The December 2025 board meeting tracked headcounts after the switch to salary-based premiums, but the available materials do not reveal whether higher-paid employees or their dependents dropped coverage, moved to a spouse’s plan, or otherwise left the pool. If healthier, higher-earning members exited, the remaining risk mix could deteriorate and push costs higher still.
Savings from the new cost-control strategy. Board presentations describe the pivot to site-of-service steerage and preferred-provider networks in broad terms, but comprehensive claims data showing whether unit prices for hospital and outpatient services have actually fallen has not been published. Until that data is available, the real-world payoff of ending the Clear Pricing Project remains unproven.
The General Assembly’s role. The state budget process will be decisive. Officials have discussed additional cost-control strategies and possible further benefit restructuring, but no comprehensive proposal has been released. The options likely include some combination of higher member cost-sharing, narrower provider networks, and increased state appropriations. Lawmakers have not publicly committed to additional funding, and the State Employees Association of North Carolina, which represents many plan members, has pushed back against benefit cuts without corresponding increases in state contributions.
What reserve depletion would mean
The State Health Plan operates on a pay-as-you-go basis, drawing on current-year revenue rather than a large invested trust fund. That structure makes its reserve cushion the only buffer between normal operations and a fiscal emergency. Once reserves are gone, the plan would need either an emergency legislative appropriation or immediate, steep benefit reductions to keep paying claims.
The state auditor’s report flagged this risk directly, noting that the trajectory of annual losses would erode remaining reserves well before the end of the decade if no corrective action is taken beyond what was already approved for 2026.
For the teachers, state troopers, university staff, and retirees on fixed incomes who depend on this coverage, the math is not abstract. The board’s next round of decisions, expected later in 2026, will determine whether the plan stabilizes through incremental adjustments or faces a more disruptive overhaul that could narrow networks, raise out-of-pocket costs again, or both. Three-quarters of a million North Carolinians are waiting to find out.

Vince Coyner is a serial entrepreneur with an MBA from Florida State. Business, finance and entrepreneurship have never been far from his mind, from starting a financial education program for middle and high school students twenty years ago to writing about American business titans more recently. Beyond business he writes about politics, culture and history.


